Using Structures in Deaf Classroom

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Tasha H

Using Structures in Deaf Classroom

Post by Tasha H » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:03 am

Hello! At my school, the teachers in our Deaf and hard of hearing class are having a difficult time implementing Kagan structures. Their class has been together for awhile and is incredibly bonded so teambuilding is not an issue. The problem lies in the students actually following the procedures of the structures. Many of them have a secondary disability as well and may not be reading yet. Many cannot hear timers, etc. What suggestions do you have for getting these kiddos to successfully use Kagan? Thank you!

Bill Stater

Re: Using Structures in Deaf Classroom

Post by Bill Stater » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Glad to hear that you have been doing lots of teambuilding with the students. That is a such a huge step in getting them to work together! Here are a couple of suggestions I have for you: When doing some structures like RallyRobin, students could use sign language to give their answers or you could give each student a set of manipulatives or pictures and have students pick or point to an answer when it is their turn (obviously you will want to have both correct and incorrect answers to choose from). If students are struggling to follow the procedures, you might choose Numbered Heads Together, Mix-Pair-Share, or Inside-Outside Circle because they are teacher-led. As far as timers, etc. go, you might do something like quickly turn the lights off and on to signal when it is time for the students to find a partner or as a cue that there are ten seconds left to share. Hope you find these helpful and thank you for the question. I believe that many teachers will benefit from you bringing this question up.

Tasha H

Post by Tasha H » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:41 am

Great suggestions! Thank you!

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:10 am

Tasha, another idea might be to use a concrete manipulative, like a cutout of and ear or lips, to establish the roles during Timed Pair Share and RoundRobin. The students would see who the speaker is and to whom attention should be paid. I think the quiet signal of a light flickering is great, what other modifications have you had to make? What have been your areas of success?