using Kagan's structures for reading comprehension skills

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
wow7

using Kagan's structures for reading comprehension skills

Post by wow7 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:37 am

Hi,
I am happy to participate in this discussion board. I am so excited to practice kagan's structures with my college students. I would like you to nominate some structures to get them ready (as team building..etc). Then some structures for teaching reading comprehension. in fact, I am intending to do a paper on those structures, so I need to carry it out with the best structures to get a clear result. I really appreciate your help.

Christi Brown

Re: using Kagan's structures for reading comprehension skill

Post by Christi Brown » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:56 am

Hello,
It sounds like you are familiar with Kagan Structures and perhaps even attended a training? If so, then look in your CL binder pages B:11-18. Fan-n-Pick structure can be implemented as a teambuilder first (B:11), then one example of reading comprehension are the Story Character cards. There are Kagan books: Higher Level Thinking: Language Arts book, and Language Arts Secondary books v.1 and v.2, or you can create your own open-ended, thinking skills questions.
Good luck!

Carol Lohkamp

Re: using Kagan's structures for reading comprehension skill

Post by Carol Lohkamp » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi, wow7 -
From reading your post, I am making the assumption you are a college professor (adjunct, perhaps?). Since you mentioned you wanted to do a paper regarding use of structures, I suggest you do a search on Dr. Larry Maheady from SUNY...State University of New York. He has conducted some great research on Sage 'N Scribe and Numbered Heads Together. His work might give direction to how you formulate your essential questions and edtablish your control groups. You can find more research references in your CL binder and in the Ksgan online library of articles. Good luck!