Win-Win Discipline

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
LouiseRR

Win-Win Discipline

Post by LouiseRR » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Good afternoon,

I am a student teacher currently doing a subject on Behaviour Management in the classroom.
I am doing an assignment on Win-Win Discipline and have been reading through the book of this name.
Can you advise if there are any research papers specifically on win-win discipline as a whole and how it has improved student behaviour in classrooms?

Many thanks,
Louise

melissasw

Re: Win-Win Discipline

Post by melissasw » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:45 pm

That's awesome that you are researching Win-Win Discipline. If you haven't already, check out Kagan's Free Articles, there are several articles that I think would relate to your research that might be very helpful.

jchristy

Post by jchristy » Tue May 06, 2014 10:39 am

What do you recommend to do for the student that does not cooperate, derails the Team...I had a student today (we are just starting Kagan...had a two day work shop last Thursday and Friday may 1 - 2). I had a girl that refused to sit with her assigned group...she was going to walk out but I encouraged her to stay plus MOST of the groups worked Independently when we did round robin...any suggestions please?

t2tuk

Post by t2tuk » Wed May 07, 2014 4:59 am

Hi jchristy, does your spelling of 'behaviour' with the 'u' point to the fact you are a teacher working in the UK? If so, I am a Kagan Trainer, and a Kagan Win-Win Discipline Trainer working fulltime in the UK. I would be happy to share info via email or if you prefer you could call our KaganUK office to discuss your questions at length. Let me know,
All the best,
Gavin

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Sun May 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Good Afternoon jchristy,
Thank you for contacting us for support! I'm so excited that you are forging ahead with your implementation of Kagan cooperative learning even with the resistance from some students. In my experience going from the traditional teacher to the cooperative teacher is a change for both students and teacher and it's great that you recognized that with your students. They've predominately been in classrooms where they were in rows and told, "come in, sit down, and be quiet." Now, you're telling them that you're going to be able to talk. Beginning with lots of fun questions is essential to begin to build that brain friendly classroom will help lower their anxiety and feel safe to share their thoughts, ideas, and opinion.
Another thing that helps students is to tell them why you are doing this, it's what's best for students. You are giving them 21st Century skills that can't be attained individually. You're preparing them for the future. Businesses want our student to have teamwork skills and effective communication skills. Here are the 21st Century Skills;
*Ways of thinking. Creativity, critical thinking, problem-solving, decision-making and learning
*Ways of working. Communication and collaboration
*Tools for working. Information and communications technology (ICT) and information literacy
*Skills for living in the world. Citizenship, life and career, and personal and social responsibility
Hope this helps. Feel free to email me with any other questions you might have as you implement Kagan.
Melissa
melissawincel@kaganonline.com