two questions

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kedavis99

two questions

Post by kedavis99 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 am

one for me and one for a friend...wait first Hello, I was a member previously but as I have moved and my previous registration was with my old school e-mail, I re-registered. Ok now on to my questions.

first for me: I'm a technology classroom assistant this year, teaching technology (keyboarding, internet safety, etc) as well as doing some classroom assistant work. I am working to incorporate structures in my tech classes, along with this I'd like to put at least my 4th and 5th grade classes into teams, however I have a two part question when it comes to this 1st part do I worry about teaming L, LM, HM, &H or not? second since I only meet with my classes two days per week should I still switch teams every six weeks or can I leave them in teams longer?

now for a friend, he is teaching some teaching certification classes, he's encountered classes that rely heavily on Power Point drive lectures, rather than interactive classes, he was wondering if there were any articles that encourage the use of power point effectively into a more actively engaged classroom, I figured this would be the place to ask :)

Rob

Re: two questions

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:34 am

Welcome back!

1st question: I would strongly suggest that teams are Heterogeneous, this allows for more student discourse and a better guided practice environment. With Random or Homogeneous teams, Leaders take over and passive students sit back.

2nd Question: I agree with your assessment of how your situation may be somewhat unique. Think of the rule being "about" six weeks. Let your grading period lead the way, if your grading period is SIX week terms then change teams with your new data (grades). If your grading period is TWELVE weeks, you most certainly provide an interim or progress report at 6 weeks, new data, new teams. However, if your grading period is NINE weeks, couldn't we say that with classes that only meet once or twice a week for 50 minutes that upon the grading period of NINE weeks we have new data and that is ABOUT SIX WEEKS.

I hope this helps.

In regards to you friend. My answer is simple: it is not about the medium of the presentation (powerpoint or other), it is about the means in which the medium is being used.

Lecture as you point and click for about 10 minutes and then get your participants involved by having them process that 10 minutes with a R0undRobin or Timed Pair Share. Continue for another ten minutes, pointing and clicking away only to stop and do a Stand Up, Hand Up, Pair Up for participants to once again process but this time with someone different than a teammate. This pattern is extremely repeatable and makes otherwise passive audiences, active.

Good luck and thanks!

Rob