Parent Letter and Info

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
cmwells13

Parent Letter and Info

Post by cmwells13 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:58 pm

We wanted to send a letter to parents about KAGAN since we will be moving forward with full implementation of student engagement as a district. Does anyone have a sample I could view? Or key points I should include in the letter to inform parents? Or perhaps helpful hints you did to make parents aware about KAGAN teaching that will be used in classrooms in your district?

Thanks for any input

dawn

Re: Parent Letter and Info

Post by dawn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:21 am

It is important that parents understand the instructional strategies used in the classroom. I do not have a sample letter, but below are some of the points you may want to emphasize.

•Cooperative Leaning is research based. Nearly a thousand research studies support cooperative leaning. It has been found that cooperative learning dramatically increases student achievement. Refer to chapter 3 in your cooperative leaning book for additional research.
•Cooperative learning is not the only instructional strategy used in the classroom. Quality instruction still takes place. A teacher experienced uses a structure on an average of every ten minutes to keep students engaged.
•Cooperative learning is not designed for grades. According to Dr. Kagan, "Cooperative leaning is for learning not for grading.” All grades should be based on individual work.
•To be successful now and in the future students need social and communication skills. Students increasingly lack the needed social and communication skills. These skills are the embedded curriculum in the structures. As a result students are more prepared for the workplace.

In addition to a letter you may want to use a structure at open house or a parent night. When they experience structures it can make all the difference in the world.