Kagan Implementation During a Staff Meeting

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
clynch

Kagan Implementation During a Staff Meeting

Post by clynch » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:45 pm

I want to incorporate some Kagan strategies during my opening staff meeting. I thought this would be a great way to review and get everyone up and moving. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas of things that they have already used.

dawn

Re: Kagan Implementation During a Staff Meeting

Post by dawn » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:07 pm

The teachers on your staff will be excited to be back together after the summer break. You might want to start with some ClassBuilding activities. Try reviewing the structure Mix Pair Share. The music will increase energy and teachers will have the opportunity to talk. For other ClassBuilding ideas refer to chapter 9 in the Cooperative Learning book.

Wendy Burke

Re: Kagan Implementation During a Staff Meeting

Post by Wendy Burke » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:20 pm

I love that you are excited to begin the year with a Classbuilder. Below are a few ideas, that I used. I encourage you to attend the Cooperative Meetings workshop, if you haven't already. It is an amazing training for Administrators and filled with lots of great ideas.

Like Dawn recommended, Mix Pair Share is always fun. I asked questions like: what did you do over the summer, professional goals for the year, super power for the day....
Other structures I used: 4 Corners....pick 4 candy options or book genres- which one best describes you and why? To make change happen do we need..then give them for 4 tool options to pick. Line-ups are also fun. Line-up by grade level, month of your birthday, years at the school or teaching. Then have them partner with the person next to them and ask a fun question. Lastly, my staff loved doing Find Someone Who. Create like a bingo type board- with box topics like: took a trip this summer, likes to read, sings in the car, used a structure last year in their classroom, has a great idea to get parents involved...

Best wishes!
Wendy