Kagan Structures for 6th grade math....

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
stacybuening

Kagan Structures for 6th grade math....

Post by stacybuening » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:30 pm

I have been using quiz, quiz trade, numbered heads together, showdown, round/rally robin to teach decimals and fractions. I am starting work on integers....any other ideas out there on new structures I can incorportate?

Thanks

Wendy Burke

Re: Kagan Structures for 6th grade math....

Post by Wendy Burke » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 am

You are a ROCKSTAR!!! Love all the structures you have tried. Rally Coach is one of my favorites for Math. This would work great for any worksheet practice or questions from the text. Also, Fan-n-Pick would be a good review or team practice structure. Hope that helps. Best wishes!

Jeff Dane

Post by Jeff Dane » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:52 am

Stacy,
I found that Simultaneous RoundTable worked well, as long as you have them pass, check, and praise each time. Since you are using RallyCoach for guided practice, you might want to add in SageNScribe. I love the 100% engagement during both of the structures listed above. Good luck.

HeatherDeMao

Post by HeatherDeMao » Mon May 21, 2012 2:57 am

Stacy,
You are probably close to wrapping up your school year, so I hope another couple structures will be well utilized at this time.

When I taught a new concept and wanted students to practice it a little before moving on (as they needed the extra support), I utilized NUMBERED HEADS TOGETHER. This is a bit of a cooperative learning twist on the traditional Jeopardy game many of us use however, PIES is included in NUMBERED HEADS. Kagan does have a great software package for this structure that I feel is well worth it, as you can store SEVERAL games with numerous questions each. This is more of a teacher centered structure, so I found it EXTREMELY helpful to instantly check for student understanding.

For content that students are more familiar with (e.g. test review), my students would play SHOWDOWN. They LOVED it!!! And, it gave me an opportunity to move about the classroom catering to those students who really needed me. This was hands down their favorite after Quiz Quiz Trade and I'm sure you're students will enjoy it too!

Eventually, my students would play SHOWDOWN when I had a substitute as well. It became a Win Win situation. Have a wonderful close to your school year!