1st Day Lesson Plan

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
amberc1980

1st Day Lesson Plan

Post by amberc1980 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:47 am

I just completed the cooperative learning institute last week and I am so excited to start the year using Kagan in my 8th grade social studies classroom. One of my biggest worries right now is how to start the year right. Any suggestions for a lesson plan for the first day of school? Usually I try to answer these questions for students the first period: 1) What will we do in this class? 2) What does my teacher expect?
I also try to do some sort of get-to-know-you activty as well. However, the first day always ends up with me talking most of the period and the students being passive listeners. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

jcmoteacher

Re: 1st Day Lesson Plan

Post by jcmoteacher » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:55 pm

I also attended one of the week long summer academies on cooperative learning. I am looking for some ideas to start at the beginning of the year also, so I hope others will post ideas. One of the lessons that I have set up for the beginning of the year might be helpful to you.

I have an information packet that I will be handing out to the students explaining rules, supplies, content, grading, etc. I also created a short power point that I'll use to just kind of guide the discussion. We will pretty much go over the packet in traditional form. One of the last slides is on cooperative learning. I'm going to explain to the students about my attending the workshop, tell them about the teams (what they need to know only), the quiet signal and talk about how we are going to be doing a lot of different activities. Then, we are going to try it. I have them doing Find Someone Who and Stand Up, Hand Up, Pair Up, followed by AllWrite Consensus to go over the information. We'll start the next day with another short structure to touch on the information again (I don't have that planned out yet).

I hope that helps and that others share their ideas.

amberc1980

Post by amberc1980 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks so much for your ideas! I think I do a very similar lesson the first day, but I'm definitely going to try the "Find Someone Who..." with stand up hand up pair up. I think what I'm struggling with right now is how much information to give them the first day on the whys of everything...teaming, classbuilding, structures, etc. I'm sure by the time the first day rolls around, I'll have it broken up in to bite-sized chunks, but it just seems daunting right now. I have until next Wednesday to figure it out!

Again, thanks so much for your reply!!!

kbouhan

Post by kbouhan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Corners would be a fun activity. You can present 4 famous quotes from history --

Ex.

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:45 am

Greetings All!
Great ideas for the start of the year - especially beginning with "getting acquainted" level of classbuilding and teambuilding. A quick reminder: if you attended a CL institute, you have an example of FInd Someone Who worksheet in your binder that you can copy and use with your students as a fun, getting acquainted opportunity. FSW needs a worksheet, but StandUp HandUP PairUp does not. Now, that students KNOW how to do FSW, as you create worksheets for academic review, they can do FSW again.

I also, love the "We Like" worksheet as a teambuilder. Using the structure ROUNDTABLE, make one copy per team and have them get acquainted with their teammates too.

As you start the year, and are lesson planning, use pg. 6.24 from the CL textbook to choose the right structure for your academic function. If you need any more ideas, just let us know WHAT your objective is, or WHAT you are teaching then we can help further.

You are correct and on the right path with starting the year with getting acquainted! Congrats and keep up the great work!!
~Christi

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:45 am

Great ideas all, I can not wait to share them with my faculty. Thanks for helping me get on track with some suggestions for teachers new to Kagan.

A quick question: Did your administration use Kagan structures with you in your back to school professional development at the beginning of the year? Did that help reluctant teachers?

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:44 am

YEAH!!!! Love that both of you are excited to begin on the first day! I do agree- I think it's important to review the rationale (why they are going to be working in teams), your management, and team formation. I love the idea of using Find Someone Who on the first day. Another Classbuilder I really like on the first day is- Inside Outside Circle. What I like about this one is- it is a set partner and gets them to meet people they may not otherwise have met. During the first few days- I also did the We Like activity, and Roundtable Consensus to make team rules. I taught SS- so I told my students this was their Team Constitution- the rules they everybody agreed upon to make a great team. I used a lot of Rally Robin and Timed Pair Share that week...to process class procedures, handbook, student goals for the year, review prior knowledge.....
Hope this helps! Best Wishes!

Wendy

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:02 pm

GREAT ideas!!! Some other suggestions to go along with Amber's questions that she likes to ask her class the first day.
1) What will we do in this class? 2) What does my teacher expect?
These are great questions for brainstorming. So one that I would like to suggest is Jot Thoughts. See how many ideas/thoughts they can come up with in a minute to cover their table. Then you can have them sort them into categories or into a timeline. Another great idea I have seen teachers do with Jot Thoughts at the beginning of the year is to brainstorm expectations and then create team statements for a Code of Cooperation vs. Code of Conduct.

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Bruce,
My administration did incorporate Kagan structures in all of our staff meetings. My administrators attended the Cooperative Meetings Administrators training at the summer institute and from that time on we started creating a cooperative school as well as cooperative classrooms. It was a rare occasion in our staff meetings that we were permitted to sit with our grade level teams (only brainstorming ways to use a new structure). We began each meeting with a classbuilder that ended in creating a random team, followed by a teambuilding structure that focused on level 1 of the 5 AIMS of Classbuilding/Teambuilding - Getting Aquainted. By the end of the year, we were able to move to more trust dependant levels - Mutual Support, Valuing Differences, and Synergy to help rewrite our school mission statement, school vision, generate ideas for school themes, fundraising ideas, etc. Oftentimes we closed the meeting with a Silly Sport or Goofy Game. If you want some ideas for agendas, please feel free to email me, melissawincel@kaganonline.com, and I would be more than happy to share.