Carousel Review

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
mpac1028

Carousel Review

Post by mpac1028 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:53 am

Recently, one of my teachers inquired about Carousel Review. It is mentioned in the Cooperative learning book but neither one of us can seem to find directions for this structure. How is it different from Carousel Feedback or Carousel Discuss?

Elia Chesnoff

Re: Carousel Review

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 pm

I would consider Carousel Review to be one of the more obscure Kagan structure. To help understand this consider how we use Carousel Feedback on Day 5 of the CL course. It involves teams visiting and giving feedback to other teams' posters or projects. The basic gist of Carousel Review involves each team receiving a different review topic which they put on a piece of chart paper. Then teams rotate like in Carousel Feedback to a new teams chart paper. They discuss and leave one comment or review element about that topic on the chart paper. Then rotate and add another comment onto the next topic. In order to create some accountability, each team will have a different colored marker or other writing utensil. So lets say in an English class one of the chart papers has the topic of Epic Hero Characteristics. The first time in blue might leave "has an alter ego". The second team to visit that chart paper might leave, "has a magic weapon" in red. The third team might add in orange, "is part of aristocracy." And so on. Another Chart paper might contain the topic: Gods in the Odyssey. Another might contain: Places odysseus visits along his 10 year return to home. The chart papers can be posted and used for a review by the entire class.

I hope this helps to clarify a bit.