Encouraging Opinions

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
cfortini

Encouraging Opinions

Post by cfortini » Tue May 20, 2008 4:52 am

A teacher asked me what structure would best suit her needs, she wants to develop the students capabilities in expressing their own points of view. I could not immediately answer this question and going through my Kagan folders I'm still not sure of the best structure, I thought of talking chips but my first instinct would be that the students (Year 2) need to be explicitly taught the appropriate language needed to express their opinion & if they don't agree with someone else the appropriate language to disagree with someone followed by many opportunities to practise this. Any suggestions?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed May 21, 2008 5:07 am

I agree that Talking Chips would fit nicely. As you stated, you are concerned about other social aspects so I would try Choose-a-Chip. It is in the Cooperative Learning book in the Communication Skills chapter. It helps students with expressing their thoughts, as well as praising, paraphrasing, asking questions and more. There are even Chips in the book that you could use! Good luck and lets us know how it goes! :lol: Jen

cfortini

Post by cfortini » Thu May 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks Jen, I'll give Choose-a-chip a go & let you know.