Biology Review

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
seracoppa

Biology Review

Post by seracoppa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:00 am

Hi! I am looking for suggestions of structures to use to review biology content in anticipation of midterm exams.

Thank you!

rickduvall

Re: Biology Review

Post by rickduvall » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:36 am

I'm assuming that most of the information on your biology mid-term exam will be knowledgebuilding information (i.e., facts that you want your students to review and memorize). Almost all of the basic Kagan cooperative learning structures work well for knowedgebuilding. Check out the chart on page 6.24 of your Kagan Cooperative Learning text and look in the column for "Knowledgebuilding". You can pick some of the structures that are aligned for that function from the ones that you are comfortable with. If part of your exam will be higher-level thinking (either critical thinking or creative thinking), then choose structures from the "Thinking Skills" column on the same chart.

I hope this helps guide you. I'm so excited that you are wanting your students to be more highly engaged in their midterm review!

Wendy Burke

Re: Biology Review

Post by Wendy Burke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:55 am

Like Rick shared, 6.24 is a wealth of information. My top test prep structures were: Quiz Quiz Trade, Fan-n-Pick, and Showdown. What I liked about Quiz Quiz Trade is it got my students up and moving. Fan-n-Pick was awesome for short response type questions and recall. Best of luck!