attendance and teams

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kungfumanda

attendance and teams

Post by kungfumanda » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:10 am

I work at a school on a reservation. We have a small population of students and attendance is one of, if not the biggest issue we have. As the computer teacher I teach ALL grades and see them only a few times a week. I want to put the kids into teams but the attendance is so inconsistent that random teams are my only option - at least that's what I'm thinking. How can I promote community and teambuilding with different students every day?

Wendy Burke

Re: attendance and teams

Post by Wendy Burke » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:08 am

Such a great question! Before I give a reply/recommendation, let me ask, do you have any students that attend more regularly? Or is attendance sporadic for all students?

rickduvall

Re: attendance and teams

Post by rickduvall » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:49 am

This is a somewhat frequent question that I hear in workshops. Dr. Kagan has been asked this regularly over the years, as well. He addresses ways that we can deal with this in the first chapter of the Kagan Cooperative Learning text (Chapter 1: Frequent Questions) on pp. 1.8 - 1.9. Check out his answer, as I think that will make you feel more at peace. Also, check out Chapter 7 (Teams) in the text for additional ideas. Best wishes! I'm so glad that the children who experience frequent absences have caring, compassionate teachers like you!