Dissertation

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
gaubuchon

Dissertation

Post by gaubuchon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:34 pm

I am currently investing a topic for my dissertation. I would love to use Cooperative Learning in my research. I am struggling as to how. My trainer was Wendy who was awesome. I feel very passionate about your structures and would love to dive in further. Your suggestions would be wonderful.

krisosthoff

Re: Dissertation

Post by krisosthoff » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks for your enthusiasm with Kagan structures for active engagement! Thanks for your great question! I'm so glad you loved Wendy! We have an awesome team!
To get started, you might consider looking at some of the Free Articles (pink tab second from the right above) to see what others have written. If you want to dive deeper into those articles, you can access all of the articles by being a Kagan Club member. Another great resource to check research for starting is in chapter 3 of your textbook.
Another thought that comes to mind is contrasting a structure or two with the traditional approach (Teacher A) or a control group. We have data in workshops like this.
Best of luck! Let us know if you have more questions!
Kris Osthoff
kriso@kaganonline.com

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Hey! I am so glad that you enjoyed the training! Kris had some amazing ideas about where to find research and information. Some good topic ideas for you might be: Cooperative Learning to promote higher rigor, How Cooperative Learning and structures promote differentiation, Cooperative Learning and its enhancement/delivery of Common Core. Just a few ideas. Keep us posted. Best wishes!

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:48 am

These are great suggestions! I would also strongly suggest that you check out Robert Marzano's Classroom Instruction That Works. He has an entire chapter devoted to his meta-analysis of research on cooperative learning. That should guide you to some resources for your literature review for your dissertation. It might also prompt some ideas for your research, as well.