Structure Suggestions for Reading Goal

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
a226

Structure Suggestions for Reading Goal

Post by a226 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:41 pm

At my school, grade levels set Reading and Math goals for the year based on the Baseline assessments. Third grade has decided to improve mastery of the skill "generalization" from 11.9% to 75%. I am thinking of using "Find Someone Who" to work with this skill but I would like to use some other structures as well. I'm struggling with this one! Any suggestions would be awesome!

krisosthoff

Re: Structure Suggestions for Reading Goal

Post by krisosthoff » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks for implementing structures for active engagement! Thanks for your great question! I want to make sure I completely understand your question, so I need a little more information. Would you be willing to email me at kriso@kaganonline.com and please attach the worksheet you have used for Find Someone Who?
All the best,
Kris Osthoff

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Love how your grade level set such a great goal. I think Find Someone Who would be great for any worksheet involving/practicing the skill. A few other options may be: Rally Coach or Numbered Heads- where they have to explain their thinking to support their response. Or even Talking Chips- where they can discuss their point of view with their team members and have a group discussion about similarities and differences of ideas, and places in the text that support answer. Just a few ideas. Best wishes!

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:52 am

I'm not sure where you are located, and if this is even a possibility or not -- but you might consider coming to the new "Reading Between the Lines" one-day workshop that will be held next July at the Kagan Summer Academy at Disney World. This one-day workshop will be devoted to using cooperative learning structures to promote inferential-level reading comprehension skills (such as generalizations). Hope to see you there!