Way to tie in a Kagan Strategy with Halloween

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
carrahli

Way to tie in a Kagan Strategy with Halloween

Post by carrahli » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 am

We are studying Ancient India in my 6th grade world history class. I was looking for some suggestions and ideas to tie in Ancient India with Halloween using some Kagan strategies.

rachel.treaster

Re: Way to tie in a Kagan Strategy with Halloween

Post by rachel.treaster » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:01 am

Great question! There are so many ideas! My first initial idea is to use Kagan Structures like Rally Robin to verbally list the key elements your students have learned about these topics. This can be done at anytime in your lesson, to process new information you have taught them or as a review. You could also use Timed Pair Share to have students share their thoughts, opinions and other ideas for any open ended questions you might ask about these topics. I know there are many more possibilities but I need more information from you. For instance, what trainings have you attended? This will help us think about the structures you already have in your toolbox. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you! ;) Rachel

carrahli

Post by carrahli » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:14 am

Thank for replying so quickly! I have only been to a 1-day seminar which was held in Naples,Florida...and I think it may have been you, Rachel that was our instructor??? I was thinking about a mix-pair-share using the song "Monster Mash" where students could record and share information about India, but beyond that not sure how to tie in Halloween ideas???

angelapink

Post by angelapink » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:32 am

I love that idea! Monster Mash for the mix part of Mix-Pair-Share. I'm totally stealing that idea for my next workshop coming up the week of October! :) Here's another idea for Mix-Pair-Share. Sometimes I like to double dip with some content and some fun questions. For example, the first time they mix and find a partner you could ask them, "If you could design any costume, what would you want to be and why?" They would then share their answers with Timed-Pair-Share. Then on the second mix, you could ask another Halloween fun question (about favorite candy, or most memorable costume, or scariest haunted house). On the third mix, you could get back to content and ask a question about all the facts they've learned about so far. They could share facts using RallyRobin.

If you haven't tried RallyCoach yet, that would be a great one you could introduce with Halloween. They could compare two costumes using a Venn Diagram (Ex: Frankenstein and a vampire). Then have them do the structure the next day comparing two things from your content. Remember RallyCoach is one paper, two students. They take turns explaining answers to their partners first, then they record one answer. Partner is there to coach if needed, check and praise. Then they switch and repeat several times. This works great with graphic organizers like a Venn Diagram. In the workshop Rachel would have taught this with mental math squares.

Best of luck, and please share with us after you try it with your students!
Thanks,
Angela

rachel.treaster

Post by rachel.treaster » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:39 pm

I can't wait to hear the outcome of you using these ideas! Happy Fall!!!