Ways to use Quiz Quiz Trade

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
aeb25

Ways to use Quiz Quiz Trade

Post by aeb25 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:18 am

I have used Quiz Quiz Trade as an end of the unit review activity, but I am still fairly new to Kagan. I would like some ideas on how else it could be used during instruction. What ways have you all used it? Thanks.

Sarah Ziebell

Re: Ways to use Quiz Quiz Trade

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Any time you are reviewing or memorizing information Quiz-Quiz-Trade is a great structure to use! I frequently used it for memorizing vocabulary words and definitions. I have used it for fluency practice. There were many different content applications for this structure.

I hope this gets you started, but I know there are lots of additional ways teachers are using Quiz-Quiz-Trade. I am excited to see what else is added.

Best of Luck,

Sarah

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:00 am

Another way that I see teachers frequently use the structure is nonacademic -- for Classbuilding! Just put open-ended questions on the cards so that the students can get to know each other better (i.e., "How would you describe yourself to someone who has never met you?" "What is one of your all-time favorite memories?" etc.).

I also see teachers use Quiz-Quiz-Trade as a way to promote higher-level, critical or creative thinking. The teachers create open-ended questions (or use the "thinking" questions from their teacher's guide) to promote mind-stretching ideas.

Obviously, with both of these examples, there is no need to have a "correct" answer printed on the back of the card. Additionally, there is no need for the quizzing partner to coach. Instead, they should be prompted to paraphrase and praise the thinking of their partner.

If either of these ideas sound like something you could use, you might want to check out Kagan's Higher-Level Thinking books. There are several different ones. They all have GREAT question cards contained in them, ready to be photocopied, cut apart, and used with your students.

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:12 am

One thing I liked to use it with was a spiral review. I color coded my units, then 1 time a month, I would revisit things previously taught that my students struggled with. This kept the reteaching high and better prepared my students for the state test. The color coding allowed me to remember where the cards belonged. I also used it as a lesson starter, for things they might have learned the previous year, that we were going to be building onto. Best wishes!