Pass

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Robjutras

Pass

Post by Robjutras » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:07 pm

A recent set of questions that was posed by a participant:

What is the role of a "PASS" in a RoundRobin?
Is it ever allowed?
What are some alternatives?

I would love to hear other ideas on the topic.

Christi Brown

Re: Pass

Post by Christi Brown » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:50 am

"What is the role of a "PASS" in a RoundRobin?
Is it ever allowed?
What are some alternatives?"

I've never associated "pass" during RoundRobin as a ROLE (or job) that one student gets to carry out during the structure.
In my experience, I offered up a more complete gambit, "I'm just listening for now" or "Keep going come back to me please." A few individuals (for a variety of reasons) needed this simple "pass" until they acquired the skills or comfort to share with teammates.
One suggestion: before the RoundRobin - - give writing time, or drawing time, or study time within their notes or textbooks to gather information, or give little ones pictures as prompts, or give students a "heads up" that this will be shared tomorrow or in 3 minutes after Solo time.

Sarah Ziebell

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:18 am

Christi had great ideas! Offering gambits and giving extended think time to write down ideas are both great ways to have students prepared to share something.

The other thing that I really think about when I have students getting stuck is the question. Have I done frequent Teambuilding using RoundRobin? Often time the more I use fun, easy questions, the more safe students feel in the group. I find that after frequent Teambuilding, when I go into a rigorous content question, students are more open to taking a risk and trying to share something when in the past they might not have.

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:06 am

If a student wants to "pass", it might be an indication that he doesn't feel safe to share an answer. As Sarah suggested, that might be evidence that I need to do more Classbuilding and Teambuilding in my classroom.

Another option is to allow the student to merely repeat what another student has shared or to repeat himself. I'd rather that student get used to saying SOMETHING, even if it is a repeat, rather than merely passing. At least by saying something, more dendrites are firing in his brain and he's getting that information hard-wired into his brain. As I monitor the groups, I would pay extra attention to this student to ensure that this isn't becoming a learned habit.