setting up a Kagan Classroom

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Sarah23

setting up a Kagan Classroom

Post by Sarah23 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:06 am

Hi,

I work in a school in England and we have started using the Kagan Structures in the last few years and have found them to be very successful. In the first few weeks back we are hoping to set up the classrooms with numbered chairs in mixed ability groups. How are the groups decided? Please does anyone have any advice of how to start setting up classrooms in this way?

Thankyou,
Sarah

Sarah 23

Re: setting up a Kagan Classroom

Post by Sarah 23 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:12 am

Also can I have teams of 6?

Sarah Ziebell

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi Sarah,

I am glad that you are having success with structures! Setting up teams in a good next step. When we are talking about setting up teams, I would recommend going to the Cooperative Learning book. Chapter 7.7 will walk you through setting up teams step by step!

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Carol Lohkamp

Post by Carol Lohkamp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Absolutely! Chapter 7 in the Cooperative Learning text is a terrific resource. As to your question about the size of the teams, Kagan recommends four students as the ideal size. The S in PIES stands for "Simultaneous Interaction", which is the snapshot of the percentage of students overtly engaged at any one time. The lesser the number of students in a team, the greater the participation rate; therefore, teams of four generate more participation/engagement than teams of six. Good luck and welcome to the on-line Kagan family!

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:35 am

Hi Sarah,
Two things:
1. We have to work with the furniture and space we are given. Sometimes there's no way around it. Sarah and Carol are correct when referring to teams of 4. I have also visited classrooms where teachers only had a few number of tables that seated 6, and this was all they had to work with for the year. A solution in that class was to create 2 teams of 3 (as opposed to 1 team of 6 because of what Carol shared about "S" in PIES). Just an idea for you in case you find yourself in a similar, unique situation. Teams of 4 are preferred however.

2. You have incredible support and resource in the UK too. Gavin Clowes is a Certifed International Kagan Trainer and Franchise Owner for the UK. Check it out.

www.t2tuk.co.uk

I hope this helps. You are not alone!
All the Best,
~Christi

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:34 am

Hi sarah, would love to help you out with your Kagan Cooperative Learning implementation, get in touch through our websites http://www.T2TUK.co.uk or http://www.Kagan-UK.co.uk

all the best,
Gavin