Kagan for Memorizing Student Data

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Carol Lohkamp

Re: Kagan for Memorizing Student Data

Post by Carol Lohkamp » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:26 am

Dr. Kagan recently shared information with us about the amazing use of kinesthetic symbols in language development and memorization. Try creating a system of connecting symbols or places on the students' bodies to signify numerals (ex: "one" could be touching the tip of the nose, "two" could be touching the ears, "three" could be holding up three fingers, "four" could look like shutting a door, etc.). Each student would have a unique series of movements/dance to represent his or her student id number. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Wendy Burke

Re: Kagan for Memorizing Student Data

Post by Wendy Burke » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:19 am

Love the idea Carol mentioned, to use symbols to help them remember. Another thing I used to do was simply a Rally Robin. Students had index cards on a ring. On the front it would say: Library number, on the back the number. They had a card for each thing....cafeteria, library, school log-in...etc. while I was doing attendance, they would take out their ring and quiz their face or shoulder partner. Hope that helps.