Kagan and Instructional Coaches

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Carol Lohkamp

Re: Kagan and Instructional Coaches

Post by Carol Lohkamp » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:39 am

Although I am a full-time trainer and coach for Kagan Cooperative Learning now, I was an elementary principal before I retired from public education. The Literacy Coach who worked with me was FABULOUS at assisting teachers in their implementation of Kagan Structures. She found it was easiest to start the conversation at a grade level meeting, then follow up individually with teachers to meet their needs...particularly when they were first figuring out where to insert structures into their lessons. Good luck and let us know how it is going!

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:23 am

Grade level meetings are a great place to start. Other Coaches that I work with, co-teach a lesson with teachers using a structure. This helps the teacher feel more comfortable, doing it with somebody, and then opens door for dialogue on how it went. Another idea, is some coaches will share instructional center ideas that incorporate a structure, and offer to make a copy for the classroom teacher. Best of luck!

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:13 am

When I was an instructional coach, I found that most of my colleagues appreciated it when I announced that I wanted to practice a "new" structure that I hadn't used before. Since I didn't have my own class of students, I would ask if anyone was willing to open up their classrooms for a few minutes for me to come in and try the new structure. All of the teachers were familiar with the structure, as we all had Kagan training together. Usually, several colleagues volunteered. I would then meet with them to discuss the content that they wanted me to use. Then, aftern I went in to "practice" the structure in their classrooms with their students, they typically were more willing to try it themselves and to ask for assistance.

I'm so delighted that you are there to support your colleagues and their students!