Are there any downsides to Kagan?

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
supastar

Are there any downsides to Kagan?

Post by supastar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:13 am

Dear All,

Thanks for reading and I hope you may be able to help. I'm doing some research in the UK about Kagan in music lessons, but obviously the content doesn't matter. I'm wanting to know if there are any downsides to Kagan, and if there is anything that people have struggled with? I'm trying to create an unbiased view to my argument, but struggling to see the down falls. Any suggestions, quotes, or stories?

Many thanks in advance!

Helen

Rosa

Post by Rosa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm

I teach Introduction and Beginning ESL students and it's hard to get equal participation from students when they are partnered up. Usually, the one with more language will tell the one with less English to just copy. It takes constant monitoring by my TAs and myself to keep this to a minimum. That's a challenge, but not enough to keep me from using those and other Kagan strategies.

supastar

Post by supastar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 am

Thankyou, that's really helpful!

Kris

Post by Kris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:20 am

i teach first grade (bilingual) and the downside that i have is similar to what rosa posted:
the more successful students end up running the show without lots of monitoring. also, if you skip the class-building/team-building sections all you end up with is bossing and hurt feelings.
and that is never fun.
however, i love it and can't imagine teaching without it.
i am even working on getting my husband to use it with the factory workers at the company where he works when he needs to do training.
:-)