Think-Pair-Share

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.

Think-Pair-Share

Postby MsDoodler » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:42 am

I have a question for teachers out there.... What have been some of the most successful ways you have implemented the Kagan Think-Pair-Share activtiy with students in your classroom?

I am a first year teacher teaching 3rd grade and have used this activity a few times with students, but would like to know any suggestions or ways you have used this activity with students in your own room. I'd like to implement it more between students but feel like I keep using this activity in the same way. Any Suggestions? :D
MsDoodler

Postby Jackie Minor » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:48 am

Are you referring to Timed Pair Share? That is the structure we teach in the Kagan Courses. Timed pair share involves giving each student in a pair a specified amount of time to talk to their partner. Using Think Pair Share often results in one student doing all the talking so we utilize time to make sure there is equal participation. In addition, this structure should be used with open-ended thinking type questions. In third grade the possibilities are endless....
In reading for example....you could use Timed Pair Share for students to make predications, analyze story structure, discuss text features, describe characters, etc....

In math, they could share how they solved a problem, strategies work for them, etc..
In social studies, they could share prior knowledge, summaries, what they have learned, etc...

Think of it this way...anytime you ask the whole class a question that is open-ended, you could use Timed Pair Share.

Timed Pair share can be used in their teams, in guided reading groups or in classbuilders such as Stand Up Hand Up Pair Up, Mix Pair Share, or Inside Outside Circle.

Good Luck!
Jackie
Jackie Minor

Postby cdessecker » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:57 pm

One thing that I have done is to do a think-pair- share with a movement included. Have students think about their answer in their seats, then get up and move around the classroom, then have them pair and share. (It is probably called something already) :P
cdessecker

Return to Kagan Implementation & Theory