HELP - ADHD

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
hrouse

HELP - ADHD

Post by hrouse » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:23 pm

I have a severely ADHD student who is not on medication and who is not cooperative at all. She is very jittery and very distractable. She has issues with her concentration and therefore has "splinter skills," meaning that she has picked up pieces of this and pieces of that.

She has to be right up on me in order to get any work done at all. I have her located in a more quiet area of the room, but to where she is not isolated.

I have broken the work down into smaller segments. I use Silly Sports and Goofy Games with our class to help break the cycle. We do a lot of work with the Kagan Structures. I am unsure as to what else I can do.

Oh, by the way, I teach Kindergarten. This helps to give a little more insight into the chaos of our room! I also have a very energetic little boy and an attention seeking little girl (who loves the mirror)!

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks a million!

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:52 am

Sounds like you are on the right track. The attention span at this age is so short let alone those with attention deficits! With K-1, anytime you can use a manipulative with a structure to pass when it is their turn, seems to help. When doing some large group activities (depending on which ones they are), having them hold onto yarn, a rope, or a rubberband strand helps them stay together.

When teaching any of the structures, it is important to have visuals for them to connect to regarding directions.

For your attention deficit kids, keeping them in pairs with a patient partner works some of the time. You have to break it up...solo time, partner time.

Many of these ideas are shared and modeled in our K-1 course at the summer academy in Orlando. Maybe you can join us! Good Luck!