Kagan in guitar class

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Slyphoenix

Kagan in guitar class

Post by Slyphoenix » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:24 pm

Are there any particularly useful kagan strategies to be used within a guitar class of 35 students? It's already chaotic...but i would like to include kagan if possible. Remember, it's a class full of noise makers!

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Sometimes I limited the number of guitars - one guitar for two students. This was for guided practice using Rally Coach structure. I would model and teach everyone with their own guitar first, then, ask all the B's to put their guitar away(or put them down). This way the B's are more likely to listen and watch partner A explain, model and teach the chord/fingerings/or chord progression of a song. A's do one chord, B's help if needed, then compliment them, and then B's get a turn to show their knowledge and skill. Other structures included: Timed Pair Share, Find Someone Who (for worksheet practice), Fan-n-Pick (with chord review cards, but only 1 guitar being used at a time - can be played in pairs for review), and Round Robin for performance practice with their teammates (or groups of 4). Good luck! ~Christi