Teamformation

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kkonrad

Teamformation

Post by kkonrad » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:45 pm

We are just beginning structures in our building, thus teachers have been working on teamformation and teambuilding. However, the fifth grade students took less than an hour to figure out what the numbers/colors meant (who was H, MH, LM, L) once they entered the classroom and noticed their desks were in groups. Any suggestions?
THANKS!
Kellie

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:19 am

Kellie,
Colors should never have been posted for kids. That is for a teacher's eyes only. It really shouldn't be that obvious, especially regarding kids in the middle. For years kids have known who the high and low kids are. The only thing you can do is a lot of teambuilding and classbuilding. YOu also need to stay TIGHT to the structures to make sure it doesn't become group work.

Jackie

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi Kellie-
My biggest recommendation is to not have the student number, within their team, correlate with their ability level. The questions will differentiate within themselves naturally in your class. I agree with Jackie- teambuilding and classbuilding are going to be crucial for success. Remind your students that they all have a lot to learn from each other- and that each student brings unique experiences and/or information to the classroom.

Best wishes! :D
Wendy

kkonrad

thanks

Post by kkonrad » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Jackie and Wendy,

Thank you for your replies. I totally understand what you are saying, but I'm a little confused. At the 5 day workshop I attended, they called us by numbers/A's&B's the entire time. They also told us how the numbers correlate to ability levels, along with the colors. I remember them saying that your H and L are always diagonal, etc... so my shoulder and face partners are appropriately placed according to ability. I assumed (obviously wrong) it would make it easier to number them at their tables. It has been very successful in K-3, but obviously I don't want to do it if it is not what is best for the kids.

I would greatly appreciate any alternatives.

Thank you,
Kellie

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:30 am

Kellie,
We do number students off and use A/B for management purposes. Kids have a tendency to figure out ability levels but we don't want to make that obvious to them. If a trainer told you to correlate the numbers with ability levels, that was wrong. You want to "vary" the ability levels with the numbers so it isn't obvious. For example, in one team, the H might be #4 and the L #1. In the next team the H might be #2 and the L #4.

I hope that helps!

Jackie

kkonrad

Clarification

Post by kkonrad » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:59 am

Ok, this is starting to make sense now. So, just to clarify, it would be ok if I had white stickers on desks numbered 1-4, without colors? I could also go ahead and write "A" and "B" on tables to help with management. When actually forming teams the number "4" might mean something different in each team, but I would still have them seated how I want them (according to H, MH, LM, L) without them "catching on?"

Rosa

Post by Rosa » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:00 pm

Exactly, Kelli! In my class, I still keep the H kid diagonal from the L kid, but they are not always in the same position.

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Kellie- Great Questions! You got it! It is definitely ok to have numbers on your student desk and even a/b...but make sure that not every number 1 is your high student and all the 2's you high medium..etc. :) I hope this helps. Best wishes! :D