Team Building/Class Building for ESL

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Rosa

Team Building/Class Building for ESL

Post by Rosa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:14 pm

I just took the Kagan training, and I could not be more excited to start implementing all of these ideas in my class. However, I teach Introduction to ESL (that is the newcomers with zero English) and I need some ideas on how to do team building and class building when my students still need to learn things like, "My name is ____."

Any ideas on activities I could use with my class to accommodate their very limited English proficiency?

Thanks for your help! :)

bjcarlile

Post by bjcarlile » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:41 pm

This is a good question since it can be difficult to do teambuilding and classbuilding with limited English speakers.

They could try the classbuilder people hunt with pictures only - pictures of their favorite sport, food, dessert, color, etc. They would circle their choice and find someone who circled the same thing. That can be done with no language.

They could also do Formations where they would work with a group of students to make a letter, word, appliance, etc. The other students could help move them into place- without language.

They could do a line up without words where they write down the first letter of the city in which they were born, their birthday, or anything else that lends itself to lining up. They can line up without talking. When it comes time to share with a partner, they could be a twin with someone who has more language ability.

They could do RoundTable and draw their answers to teambuilding questions.

I hope these ideas help.

Barby Carlile