Ideas for a behavior plan sought

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
mriccio

Ideas for a behavior plan sought

Post by mriccio » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:59 pm

I am a special education teacher at a school for 200 ninth graders.
We are trying to implement a sort of group based learning model that is based on the book Tribes by Jeanne Gibbs.
We hope to divide up 100 students into groups of about four or five each for many learning and lesson based activities.
Several of the teachers are creating an elaborate system of points/rewards etc. Having students in "tribes" will hopefully help them see the value of tapping into each others strengths and aiding in areas of weakness.
In cases however where behaviors are consistently poor and a distraction to all concerned, we would like to have a time out wherein that student or students would have to go to the "resource room" for a time limited period (e.g. three days or so) and would be required to complete x amount of work to return back to his tribe.
The hope is that, in this way, he would catch up on his own work and raise the level of the tribe group.
Incorporate into my behavior concept would be behavioral contracts and report cards and other reward based tangibles.
Any one with any experience or thoughts about this, I would so appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks!

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:59 am

Michela,
The best resource I can direct you to is Dr. Kagan's Win-Win book. There are a lot of great ideas and suggestions in there for discipline. Although I don't know a lot about what you are doing, I would caution you regarding elaborate point systems. Those often becoming "controlling" and don't really teach students any learned responsibility. The ultimate goal of any discipline program should be for students to learn the appropriate ways to behave, understand the payoffs and make good decisions on their own without us "forcing" them to do it for prize or reward. I would also caution you regarding "time outs". That should be a last resort. It has been my experience that a "time out" situation like you are describing does remove the student from the situation but unless something else is done, the student often does not learn how to adapt his or her behavior in a productive way.

Your situation seems very complex and I know I don't know all the workings of it but I would encourage you to read some other resources on discipline like Dr. Kagan's book, Fred Jones, Alfie Kohn and Richard Curwin.

Jackie

kkonrad

Love and Logic

Post by kkonrad » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:10 am

Michela,
Another great resource is Jim Fay's Love and Logic. It has saved me in the classroom and as a mother! If possible, I would highly recommend one of his seminars. There are also a ton of other resources (dvds, audio tapes, etc.).
http://www.loveandlogic.com/
Let me know if you'd like more info. on this. Best of Luck!
Kellie