Action Research Ideas

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
ShawnaScott

Action Research Ideas

Post by ShawnaScott » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Hello,

I took the week long cooperative learning course over the summer and LOVE implementing Dr. Kagan's structures and theory in my class. What a difference! :D

I now have to complete an Action Research project for my masters program. I want to do something that is related to structures, but have found the umbrella "cooperative learning" is way too overwhelming.

Can anyone help me brainstorm ideas for an action research project that incorporates Kagan Structures? OR... Has anyone completed a project revolving around structures?

Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas :idea: !

Shawna

Jeff Dane

Post by Jeff Dane » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Shawna,
You could consider the transference of social skills from the classroom to the community. By using the structures, we are immersing the students in social skills. You could design interviews and questionaires around the topic. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

JMacomb

Post by JMacomb » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:34 am

Shawna,

I'm not sure of the total requirements for your project, but remembering some action research projects I did when I was in the classroom, I might look at something like this:

Choose something you have taught the same group of students in a more traditional style, or you can create this and do it depending on how much time you have for this project.

Do some sort of preassessment on their current knowledge of the topic, teach it traditionally, then a post assignment. Do interviews of questionairres on how the students feel they know the topic, how they felt while learning, etc. Also, keep a log of your observations.

Then teach another topic, but use the structures techniques. Do a preassessment, and the same follow up you did with the traditional style. This would provide a triangulation for you as well.

Compare and contrast the results. Use the data you get from postassessments, your observations, and their interview/questionairres. The preassessments compared to the postassessments should also show a more in-depth understanding in postassessment after using the structures as compared to the traditional.

Hope this helps or may spark some interest.

canadianteacher

Action Research Project

Post by canadianteacher » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Shawna,

I did an action research project in my grade 3/4 classroom on Cooperative Learning that was very easy to implement. I used class and team building activities to improve social relationships in the group. We did the recommended amount of team/classbuilding activities every month and then when I was about to change groups, I administered a Sociogram (Survey of three students kids wanted to sit with and not sit with in their groups of four). I used the data to chart the improvement/growth of three needy, socially-inept, "less-popular" children in my class. The results were very promising as each of these former social outcasts gained popularity by the end of the project and fitted in, had more self-esteem and increased their grades. It was relatively effortless on my part. Hope this helps.