Staff Frustration

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
cfortini

Staff Frustration

Post by cfortini » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:40 am

I'm extrenely frustrated! My school has been implementing Kagan Structures for the last 4 years and after attending the trainers course & coaching course last year I went back to school and shared my new learnings with staff. I ran a 2 day workshop with staff and the feedback was extremely positive. As a staff we decided that the coaching would be benefical to all. I followed all the steps Vern discussed in the course but only a regular 4 teachers signed up. There seems to be a feeling that they are being watched and I've repeatedly assured them that the coaching is to make sure all steps of the structure are included so that they are a true reflection of PIES but I seem to be hitting my head against a brick wall! The teachers who have participated in the coaching have only had positive comments and have tried to reassure other staff but to know avail. What's my next step?

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:45 pm

Cheryl,
I think it is great that you are trying to support your teachers. I'm sure Vern talked about the importance of setting your expectations for staff. When an initiative like cooperative learning has become a staff's focus, then coaching should be an expectation not voluntary. As an administrator, I believe you should be able to coach any teacher you choose to. I realize you may want to give them the option but obviously that isn't working. Some other things you can do is use the structures in faculty meetings to build that sense of community. I have also seen administrators video the coaching experience and then share that at a faculty meeting so teachers can see how non intrusive it is. Another option would be to have an outside coach come in but given your location that may be pretty difficult! Hang in there. If you want to dialogue more, email me!

Jackie

kkonrad

utilize teachers

Post by kkonrad » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:27 am

I am a third grade classroom teacher and would love to have a principal/v.p. like you WANTING to see structures!
Is your school using PLCs (Professional Learning Communities)? I'm in Missouri and I know you are far off so I have no idea if that is something being used in your area. It is great! It is a structured way of implementing staff collaboration, and in turn, improves school culture and student learning. I say this because teachers in our building are required to visit other teachers' classrooms (without the principal present). We sent out an email asking each teacher for a time/subject area that they would be willing to allow others to come in and observe. You could volunteer to "cover" teachers rooms as they visit other classrooms (you know we always love this:). Maybe it could be a 15-20 min. visit that requries each teacher to host one structure in their room and visit one outside of their room. Not sure if that would work for you, just an idea:)
I heard a great quote at a conference a few weeks ago that is SO true...
"What gets monitored, gets done."
Good Luck. I'd love to hear if you find anything that works.
Kellie

Kris

Post by Kris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:45 am

both of your experiences sound great.
i am new to a school that has gone through a lot change in the past few years.
as a teacher, i have talked to both administration and other teachers about PLC and KAGAN. without support and expectations from admin, teachers won't spontaneously participate. those few that do feel unimpowered to make change.
i like the idea of using video and structures during faculty meetings.