Kagan for High Schoolers

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Italy0505

Kagan for High Schoolers

Post by Italy0505 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:46 pm

I teach 10th and 11th grade and have a difficult time finding Kagan activities that the students actually enjoy. I have a tough time trying to get the students to "buy into" the activities we actually do. Does anyone have suggestions or activities that would work for older students?

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:12 am

I have found that structures with many HS students do work. I have observed this in numerous schools. Here are some tips that might help:

1. Make sure they are heterogeneously grouped (mixed ability teams).
2. Give HS students the rationale for having them work together - teamwork is a major skill needed in society today.
3. Make sure you do teambuilders and classbuilders but don't get too goofy. Again, tell them it is important that they know about each other so they can work well together.
4. Sometimes using structures during guided practice demonstrate to students how valuable their teammates are and how they can benefit from each other. So, you might want to use structures like RallyCoach and QQ Trade. Once students are more successful because of the structures they start to buy in.
5. There are some good secondary books in the catalog. Maybe some of them will help give you additional ideas.

Jackie

danielsm

Activities for Older Students

Post by danielsm » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:37 pm

As a middle school teacher (grade eight), I have found that many of the Kagan activites, or other activities that link to MI can be adapted for older students. It would be helpful first to have students discover what their strengths are. Whether you use a formal inventory (MIDAS), one of many online inventories, or create your own is not as important as helping students identify their strengths. Creating a class profile helps them all recognize the various ways they each feel they learn best and may encourage more "buy-in " in modified age appropriate approaches. It will also help you to see the makeup of your class. I identify each student's top two strengths on a class chart that is available for all students to view. I can then say, "Today we are doing an activity in groups of three - since many of you identify interpersonal as a learning preference." By the same token, a class with more intrapersonal students may get the assignment to do alone or with a partner if they prefer. If students see the connection to their own profiles, they may be more willing to engage in the activities.

kmoj

Post by kmoj » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:07 pm

In order to increase "buy in" for students, make sure that each person has an important contribution. You need to create a stuation of mutual interdependence, a situation where individuals need one another to accomplish their goal. Students must work together to achieve a common academic goal and a common product. Emphasize to students that each individual has a

lgoymerac

Post by lgoymerac » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:32 am

I enjoy using Quiz Quiz Trade. This is something that can be used over and over again. The only problem is the prep time.