QQT Question

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
VegasTeacher

QQT Question

Post by VegasTeacher » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:36 am

Hello Terrific Trainers,

Our upcoming SAM Club structure is Quiz-Quiz-Trade. I have consulted my 1-Day & 5-Day workshop workbooks as well as my CL - Trainers Edition & Structures Coaching Forms binders, but can not find the answer to the following question.

After the students SU, HU & PU, then employ a social greeting, do they SIT together or remain standing (for steps 2-6)?

I have experienced the structure both ways in the Kagan workshops that I have attended, but want to be sure that I present it to my teachers in the exact way that Kagan recommends the structure be taught.

Any additional "tips" for teaching QQT are welcome :D

Thank you for your support!

CWS

Wendy Burke

QQT tips

Post by Wendy Burke » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:23 pm

Great question!
I recommend having the students stand. Have them quiz each other- trade cards and then hand-up to find a new partner. The only time I would see a need for the students to sit- is if they were doing a math problem that involved them to do some writing to solve the problem. Remember to have answers on the cards, if students make the cards to have a partner check in place prior to them doing the structure (to make sure that the answers rae correct), and that the structure is not done to music! :) Best of luck! Wendy

tolguin

quiz Quiz trade question

Post by tolguin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:27 pm

The workshop I went to a while ago in CA. I don't specifically remember the steps 2-6 you speak of, but my students have several teams that mix together as a class when quizing; I time them so they've had enough time to get all the questions and answers. Then, they sit back down in their own team. That is the way it was done at my workshop.

Look at the activity as a "class-building" structure, in which they return to their teams for team-building.

Rachel Treaster

Post by Rachel Treaster » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:20 am

Ms. Olguin,
I'm so glad you're wanting specifics for Quiz Quiz Trade. It is one of my all time favorite structures! I love it because it allows kids to go at their own pace and it differentiates instruction for the whole class! With Quiz Quiz Trade, you start the kids off in Stand Up Hand Up Pair Up like you originally stated. They go individually with their own cards and find a partner closest to them. Once they have greeted on another, they Quiz, Quiz, and then Trade the cards individually. Once a departing gambit has been given, the students raise their hand and find another person looking for a new partner, again as individuals not pairs or teams of students. The process starts again. You, the teacher, do not have to start and stop them. You get to monitor and watch the kids. I hope this clarifies some things for you since your training was some time ago. I hope this works well for you and your kids! :lol:

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:03 am

Although Quiz Quiz Trade is a Classbuilder- because the students are up, moving around, and it involves everyone in the entire class....it is a very strong structure for Mastery. Depending upon the level of your students- either they, or the teacher, can create the cards and review before a test, material learned the day before, or even a skill taught in class. This structure is a great energizer, and the beauty of it is- students will be having fun, where coaching is needed, and reinforcing content questions. Best of luck!

kkonrad

idea

Post by kkonrad » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:36 am

I usually have mine stand. However, when needed, I have them travel with a whiteboard, marker, and eraser. You could also have them take a notebook/clipboard. A notebook would work well because you could collect their work when done for even more accountability.
Kellie