timed pair share for younger students

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
dkclarke

timed pair share for younger students

Post by dkclarke » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:24 pm

HI,
Does anyone have any tips for using Timed Pair Share (and any other gateway strategies like Rally Robin) with younger students?

Thanks,

Doug

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:34 am

Hi Doug!

Great Question! I would encourage you to do these structures first having the students seated- before adding them mixing, finding a partner, and then adding the structure. Make sure the first few times you do either structure you model with a student in the class, as to your expectations and review of the structure steps. The first few times you do either structure- I would encourage you to do it as a classbuilder/ teambuilder. This way your students will learn the structure effectively and also get to know more about their classmates. Then- I would ease into content questions. Some teachers have used name tag holders with shapes, colors, letters, etc.... on them to give students a quick visual for who was going to go first. Also, for each of these a visual timer is great for time left of the activity! :) Hope this helps! Keep me posted!

Wendy Burke :D