Adapting Kagan for Distance Learning: Creating Full Student Engagement Online
December 1, 2020 in Web-based, Open Registration
Distance learning, remote teaching, virtual learning—whatever you want to call it—was a disaster for many teachers and students! This fall and beyond, most schools will be relying on distance learning either full-time or part-time. It doesn’t have to be a disaster again!
If you were using Kagan Structures before the pandemic, you know the power of student interaction to boost student engagement, achievement, and liking for class and content. The same is true online! Distance learning doesn’t have to be so boring and feel so… well… distant.
Applying what you learn in this 4-hour Live Online workshop, your online teaching will come alive. Learn how to form base teams, random teams, and pairs to maximize student interaction and learning. See how you can adapt Kagan Structures like the RoundRobin family, Quiz-Quiz-Trade, and more, for full student engagement. Create a supportive context for learning with Teambuilding. Implement online Classbuilding activities to help students feel more connected to their classmates. Learn essential online management skills like how to check in on your breakout teams and how students can alert you when they need help. At a time when physical distance is necessary, social interaction and support are more necessary than ever. Students remember dramatically more of what is said in interaction than what the teacher says. Academic achievement accelerates. Students actually look forward to their online classes as an opportunity to interact with classmates and teammates.
Note: This Live Online workshop is conducted via Zoom. Specific examples are shown on Zoom, but may be applied to other video chat software with breakout room capabilities.
- Kagan Cooperative Learning Day 1 or equivalent
- Form random teams, base teams, and pairs and know when and how to use each
- Come away with management tips including managing chats, attendance, and screen sharing
- Supercharge breakout rooms to maximize engagement and learning
- Adapt your favorite Kagan Structures and methods to use online
- Compatible with most video chat software with breakout room capabilities
- Replace students’ feeling of isolation with a sense of connection and belonging
- Increase your tech skills and online teaching skills
- Works for most major hardware including PC, Mac, Chromebooks, smartphones, tablets
- Have students come alive interacting with classmates over the content
Free Kagan Materials
With your attendance, you will receive:
Watch the Video
“If you love using Kagan structures in your class, but are going remote this year, THIS is your workshop!! Learn how to engage your students online using structures and breakout rooms!!”
“This PD was very rich in content and amazingly beneficial, I am really excited to implement what I have learned. Thanks KAGAN!”
“If you haven't attended the Adapting Kagan for Distance Learning... Do so... We had all our teachers attend... It's worth it and it will give you confidence in this crazy world.”