Kagan Grouping

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
madkins94

Kagan Grouping

Post by madkins94 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:00 am

I am departmentalized, so I will see 3 classes. Each class is different in size-24,25, and 30. The best way that I can figure out my groups is to have two groups of five for one class. Does this work well with Kagan, I cannot seem to wrap my head around how well a group of five would work.

rcdanio

Re: Kagan Grouping

Post by rcdanio » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi madkins94,

Groups of 5 are inevitable, sooner or later. Each Kagan structure can work great all the same. Rather than 2 teams of 5, though, Kagan recommends 3 teams (2x3 + 1x5). This increases participation and keeps them physically closer. The Cooperative Learning book specifies organization and reasoning.

For teams of 5, here are some adjustments I use. (I've taught up to 7 groups in the same week.)

- Turns in Teams (RoundRobin, Team Stand-N-Share, etc.)
When other teams rotate to student 1, one team rotates to student 5, and so on.

- Turns in Pairs (RallyTable, Timed Pair Share, etc.)
There is just one trio, which does a RoundTable instead.

- Roles (Inside-Outside Circle, 3-Step Interview, etc.)
Students can double-up on a single role. A interviews two B's, then two B's take turns asking questions. For Inside-Outside Circle, a pair of students sticks together as one.

- Random student (Numbered Heads Together, etc.)
There's a student 5 in that group, so when calling on a random team member (for , using a spinner (manual, or with the phone/tablet app), I just specify

You may need to help with timing - 2x30seconds in pairs means 3x20s for the trio. I used to try to brush over quickly the specifics for that one odd group, thinking of it as an annoyance. Then I attended a training with Tom Searl, where he relished in helping the trios in the room of 120+ participants. That showed me the payoff for just a little more time: those groups were clear on instructions, and the whole room was harmoniously integrated, with no marginalization. Not to mention we could all use the processing time to prepare for the structure, or think about the content - bonus Think Time!

I hope this helps!

Elia Chesnoff

Re: Kagan Grouping

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:31 pm

The new management mats that now contain 2 mats for groups of 3 and groups of 5. This makes managing much easier. The fifth member of a group is considered a 5 and C. For working with shoulder partners, the fifth member can choose which side to work with. When working with face partners, the fifth member will work with the 1 and 4.

Depending on the structure, the adaptation for the fifth member may be a little different. It's a little trickier for sure, but with practice adjusting for one group of five will become second nature. To start with:

RallyRobin becomes RoundRobin with 3.
Timed Pair Share has more time added to the second turn and the second turn is divided by 2. For example of the A gets 30 seconds and all the other B's get 45 seconds. In the group of 3, the A gets 30 seconds, and the B and C get 22 seconds each.

Hope this helps you get off to a start.