Self-Contained Special Needs

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
harrika1

Self-Contained Special Needs

Post by harrika1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:15 am

Hello,
So I am a Primary Autism Teacher and I teach 8 students each year ranging from Kindergarten through second grade. I may have each students up to 3 years depending on when they start with me. The Intermediate Autism Teacher and I have been working together to determine how we could use Kagan structures in our classrooms with such a wide range of disabilities and challenges in our classrooms. I just received my evaluation and next year it is written into my evaluation that I must ensure Kagan structures are integrated into each of my daily content area lessons. We really look through all of your structures and find that maybe 1 or 2 students could use it and then the other 6 are left hanging. I would really like to know if someone has modified these structures to meet self-contained classrooms with a lower amount of students with a very wide range of disabilities.

Thank You so much!!

rickduvall

Re: Self-Contained Special Needs

Post by rickduvall » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:29 pm

Gains for students with exceptionalties who are engaged in using Cooperative Learning have been very well documented by multiple educational researchers. I’m so impressed with your dedication to working with your students who are on the autistic spectrum! As you well know, most students who are diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum have a wide range of needs, academically, emotionally, and socially. By engaging your students in Kagan structures regularly, you will be helping them acquire social skills by embedding social skills in your daily instruction. Because your students are so young, I recommend that you consider attending a Kagan Little Ones workshop. In this workshop, you will learn how to help young children utilize structures to enhance their development. Since it seems that your administrator is expecting you to be able to use the structures well with your students, perhaps they’d be willing to fund your enrollment. I recommend that you check out the Kagan website (www.kaganonline.com) to see if there is a Little Ones institute that you could attend this summer. Best wishes!

harrika1

Post by harrika1 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:38 pm

Thank you! I will ask about this. We will be having training at the start of the year in August and I can inquire about Kagan Little Ones. Can you get me more information on that so I can have my research done and show that in fact this little ones training would be beneficial to all primary grades. Thank you so much!

Bill Stater

Post by Bill Stater » Thu May 02, 2019 6:25 pm

I want to echo the statement that Kagan can benefit students on the Autism spectrum by helping to develop much needed social skills. Here are some of the course highlights from the Kagan for Little Ones course (from the Kagan website) that you might want to show your administrators:

-Learn the best Kagan Structures to use with younger children
-Master simple management techniques that make your class hum
-Get your little ones off to the right start with terrific teamwork skills
-Meet your youngsters' need to talk, move, and play in a productive way
-Create a cooperative and caring class where everyone wants to be
-Boost comprehension and retention by engaging their minds and bodies
-Use fun and easy strategies to reach high standards for all students

You also receive Kagan Materials for attending:
-Cooperative Learning for Primary Book
-Kagan Structures for Little Ones course workbook

Good luck. And THANK YOU for all that you do!