4th Grade Math Word Problems

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Mushraeddur

4th Grade Math Word Problems

Post by Mushraeddur » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:34 am

I'm new to Kagan. I just finished the training last week. I loved everything I learned. I'm still trying to process it all and organize it in my brain! Anyways, I teach 4th grade math. I'm going to be teaching a lesson that has students solving a fairly challenging problem. I want them to solve the problem as a team. I'm not sure what structure would be best suited for this.

The Kentucky Mathematics Center (KCM) training I received has the students start with a T-chart of what they know from the problem, and what the problem is asking them to find/do. I figure I can give think time and then have students write down their own T-chart. Next have them Rally Robin what they came up with on their chart.

My KCM training next wants them to work on the problem as a group of 3-4. I figured that lines up with Kagan nicely. The problem I'm facing is, the group is supposed to dig deep into the question and have a strong understanding of how to solve the problem when it's said and done.

Which structure would you recommend in having the group solve the one challenging problem?

The entire lesson should take about 60 minutes to complete. Any help/suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Travis

jeningalls

Re: 4th Grade Math Word Problems

Post by jeningalls » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:11 am

Hi Travis! Thanks so much for reaching out and glad to hear you enjoyed your recent Kagan training. Can you please let me know how many days of training you had so I may suggest a structure that you were trained on?

Mushraeddur

Post by Mushraeddur » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:47 am

I had 4 days of training.

jeningalls

Post by jeningalls » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 pm

Numbered Heads Together would be a great structure for you to have the group solving the problem. You would have learned in on Day 2 and it's in your textbook on 6.48. Let me know how it goes when you try it :)

Mushraeddur

Post by Mushraeddur » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:29 am

I will have a go at this structure. When the group is solving the word problem, is it okay for the struggling students if they don't finish the problem and get coached when the team "puts their heads together?"

jeningalls

Post by jeningalls » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:37 am

Yes!! You’ve got it. The teacher asks the question and gives 3-5 seconds of think time. After that, have students privately write their answers and signal when done. (Flipping their board over is one idea) They can put a question mark or do as much as they can during the solo part because when they stand up and put their heads together, the team makes sure everyone knows the answer and how to solve it. Once the teams come to consensus, they erase their boards and sit down. The teacher then selects the team representatives and decides how to have the team representatives share out simultaneously. Your kids will love it!!