Quiz Quiz Trade French vocabulary

Questions about Kagan
NKHANSEN

Quiz Quiz Trade French vocabulary

Post by NKHANSEN » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi,

I just have a simple question. I just purchased The quiz trade vocabulary book and as I was flipping through, I saw some words that baffled me: une perforeuse for a hole puncher, un cartable as a binder, une gomme à effacer for an eraser, un réluire à trois anneaux (3-ring binder), la pâte for pastry - which is okay if you mean dough. I've been gone from Belgium a long time, so I know there are new words, but I was wondering if these were Canadian French. A hole puncher used to be une perforatrice, un cartable is more a backpack or a school bag than a binder (un classeur), a pastry (cooked) - I thought was une pâtisserie, and an eraser is simply une gomme. Not a big deal, but if I use this in class, I need to know the country origin of those words. For example, in Belgium we say "latte" for a flat ruler where in France a ruler ais une régle. Again, no big deal. Thank you for a little clarification.

parkeratkagan

Re: Quiz Quiz Trade French vocabulary

Post by parkeratkagan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:18 am

Thank you for your interest in the Quiz-Quiz Trade French Vocabulary book! This is a great question, and we consulted with the book’s editor to get their input.

The questions are correct in saying that these are words used in Canadian French classrooms. They are the words students are taught, but some terms like 'un cartable' for binder is what most native French speakers use.

To the extent possible, we referred to French as a second language sources because they are usually more ' pure' French.

These things being said, there are many dialects and colloquialisms for every language. It can be difficult to identify the origin of the words presented in any vocabulary book, especially in when the line between France French, Canadian French and other regional preferences is blurred.

I hope this sheds some light on the approach we took on this book. Thanks again and bonne chance!