Virtual Education

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Mindyggo

Virtual Education

Post by Mindyggo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Hello! I work for a virtual school. I previously taught at a BAM school that embraced the use of Kagan. I have tried to implement activities that support Kagan; however, it is very much a trial by error. I have seen success but I am also wondering if Kagan has completed any research in this area of education. I would welcome any advice or other teachers I could network with if this is being studied in virtual education. Thanks!

Elia Chesnoff

Re: Virtual Education

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:37 am

Hi Mindy,

My sister is an administrator for K12 Virtual Academy. I am a Kagan Trainer. As one might imagine, we have interesting discussions on education. I applaud your efforts to bridge virtual school with Kagan Cooperative Learning. I am not aware of research conducted in the use of Kagan Cooperative Learning in terms of being applied to a virtual school setting, but that does not mean it does not exist.

As I imagine how structures might me used within a virtual setting, I think it would be determined on the capacity of the technology to support interaction. For example, if the two students are on a live online discussion panel, I do not see why they could not do a RallyRobin over video or a RallyTable within the messaging format.

Implementing the seven keys, on the other hand, would be a challenge. Classbuilding would be a primary example. Also, using Principles from Brain-Friendly Teaching might be challenging. Specifically the principle of "Social". It is much more difficult to pick up on all the non-verbal communication that occurs when one is not in the same place with the person he or she is conversing with.

If students are working independently at their own pace, as they do in many virtual settings, then it would be extremely difficult to implement any cooperative learning since the basis of it is dependent on interaction.

Unfortunately this is the best answer I have available, but it would be interesting to read what others post on the topic.

-Elia