Table Seating

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
aknapp

Table Seating

Post by aknapp » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:05 am

Okay, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. We just got these new tables that are sturdy and really nice. They are quite large and take up quite a lot of space in my room. I have enough seats for 32, but because of the size of the tables, I can only make enough groups for 28 -- there's no room for that last pair of tables to be pushed together.

I have pretty good class sizes to implement teams across all of my classes (6th ELA) without any issues. Of course, there would be one that would have to give me trouble...I have one class of 30, which means 6 groups of 4 and 2 groups of 3. I don't know how I'm going to accommodate those last two groups without making the class super cramped and impacting sight lines. Right now I've pushed one of my tables up to the edge of one of the existing groups to make a group of six, but treating it as two groups of three. I'm having severe reservations about the number of students sitting there and the logistics over the year. I thought of just putting 3 at each table and just separating that group of 4 table just for that hour and pushing it back together before the next hour -- again, I just don't know if it will be too cramped having 3 students at the table.

Just need someone to look at this from a different perspective, I guess. Thanks!

Jackie Minor

Re: Table Seating

Post by Jackie Minor » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:53 pm

It seems like you have figured out about the best case scenario you can. With the team of 6, can you take a piece of blue tape and tape off the teams? Ideally if you can make two groups of 3 and keep the separate that is going to work best. It is a little tough to visualize. Feel free to post a pic and I can try and make another suggestion.

Jackie