Kagan Structures

Questions about Kagan
john1421

Kagan Structures

Post by john1421 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:32 am

I have bought "Kagan Cooperative Learning" and found that only a few structures are included in the book. It is mentioned that all the structures will be presented in the book "Kagan Structures", but I can't find the product. Is the book published? If not, when will it be published? I am a teacher in Hong Kong and the only way I can learn all the structures is from reading. So I am desperate in searching for this product. Would anyone help me? Many thanks.

parkeratkagan

Re: Kagan Structures

Post by parkeratkagan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22 am

Hello and thank you for your interest in Kagan Structures! The Kagan Cooperative Learning book actually discusses 144 Structures (outlined on pages ix-xi) and presents 36 Structures in detail with examples (see pages xii or 6.24). With regards to the Kagan Structures book, we are still working on this project, however no official release date has been set. If you sign up for our electronic newsletter here (http://www.kaganonline.com/subscribe_me.php), you will be among the first to know when any new product is available. Thanks again!

john1421

Post by john1421 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 am

It seems to me that I can have no way to learn structures other than those explain in "Kagan Cooperative Learning" - am I right? It is quite disappointing to me if the answer is yes.

parkeratkagan

Post by parkeratkagan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:22 am

No, you are incorrect, in that there are several ways to learn structures. We publish over 100 books, software titles and other materials that are designed to teach structures and help teachers incorporate structures into their classrooms with an ultimate goal of boosting classroom engagement and achievement. You can view all of these items in our on-line catalog here: http://www.kaganonline.com/catalog/.

You can also learn more about Kagan Structures, Cooperative Learning, Win-Win Discipline, and a variety of other educational-centric topics by reading any one of the of many free articles we have available on our website here: http://www.kaganonline.com/free_articles/.

I already referred you to our on-line magazine subscription below. If you look through the on-line magazine, you will find a Featured Structure which can be seen here: http://www.kaganonline.com/online_magaz ... ucture.php.

The nearest workshops in your part of the world are currently held in Singapore, which I understand still be too far to travel to attend, but we have a wide variety of products and on-line resources to help people around the world learn our structures and other instructional strategies.

I hope this helps, but if there is anything else, please feel free to contact me directly at parker@kaganonline.com. Thanks so much for your interest, we really appreciate it!

Carol Lohkamp

Post by Carol Lohkamp » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:32 am

After reading your post, I am making the assumption your purchase was the Dr. Kagan's new mini-book, "Kagan Cooperative Learning Structures". If so, some of the confusion may be attributed to a misunderstanding of the purpose of the book.

Dr. Kagan created the mini-book as a quick, easy read for people who are unfamiliar with Kagan Cooperative Learning and structures for engagement -- such as Central Office leadership, School Board members, and Parent/Teacher Organization members -- in order for them to gain an understanding of the theory and its practical applications in today's classrooms. The structures which are included in Chapter 2 (RallyRobin, Timed Pair Share, Three-Step Interview, Quiz-Quiz-Trade, and Numbered Heads Together) demonstrate the versatility of Kagan Cooperative Learning and provide an overview of what makes the use of structures so powerful.

I regret your disappointment, but I do appreciate your enthusiasm for Kagan Cooperative Learning and new products in our line. Perhaps with this new perspective in the purpose of the mini- book, you might have someone in your organization who would benefit from reading it and would be willing to share it with them. To further your own growth in Kagan Cooperative Learning, I suggest an annual membership to the "Kagan Club". Members receive periodic updates on new products, special tips for teachers, and unlimited access for our online magazine and articles.

I hope your school year is off to a terrific start. Good luck and best wishes!