Becoming a Kagan Coach

Questions about workshops, academies, tour events, conference, and graduate courses.
mpoole01

Becoming a Kagan Coach

Post by mpoole01 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 am

Our Kagan Coach moved to another school and I wanted to know what I needed to do to become a Kagan Coach?

melissasw

Re: Becoming a Kagan Coach

Post by melissasw » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:32 am

Wow!! That's awesome that you want to step into the role of Kagan coach to support your school's implementation of Cooperative Learning. The guidelines are pretty simple. You have to have taken the 5 day cooperative learning training and used structures consistently in your classroom for a minimum of 6 months. If your school has been supported in the past by a full time Kagan trainer/coach I would suggest that you have them come after you have been trained and you walk with them. What I usually do with new coaches is that I do the actual coaching but the trainee takes notes. Then we step in the hall and I ask......what good thing did you see? What 1 thing would you have coached on, and finally, what next steps would you work on with this teacher?
Hope this helps. I was our school site Kagan coach so feel free to contact me with any other questions, melissaw@kaganonline.com.