Kagan Academies

Questions about workshops, academies, tour events, conference, and graduate courses.
dlhagedorn

Kagan Academies

Post by dlhagedorn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 am

I have taken the weeklong Cooperative Learning Kagan training.

What would be the benefit of attending a Kagan academy/conference?

Sarah Ziebell

Re: Kagan Academies

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:25 am

Absolutely! Each training has a different focus and different set of structures. Attending the week long Cooperative Learning you got many different structures to use for engagement in the classroom. Cooperative Learning is geared to all grade levels and subject areas. As a great next step, take a look at the different course selections and think about what you are focusing on in the classroom. For example, taking Literacy course, you will get a great new structure set geared specifically to literacy. Also there are courses like Accelerating Achievement where you learn a new structure set proven to raise test scores. I would check out the course descriptions and find one that interests you! Hope this helps! Good luck selecting the course right for you!

Tom Searl

Post by Tom Searl » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 am

Another incredible benefit is meeting and networking with other teachers and professionals! At Kagan's Winter (Las Vegas) and Summer (Orlando) Academies, teachers travel from all over the United States to attend the various courses. I've also met teachers from outside the US! Talking about Kagan structures with other teachers gives you an even bigger picture of how engagement is transforming education! Hope to see you at one of the academies or at one of the USA Tour events! Happy New Year.

rachel.treaster

Post by rachel.treaster » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 am

Sarah and Tom make very good points! Another reason attending more Kagan workshops may be of value is because the more instruction we receive in anything, the better we become. I think of a pro-athletes. They are very good at what they do, but they are continually given more instruction on new plays, as well as plays they already know, which makes them even better with their skills. This is true for teaching too! When you attend another Kagan workshop, you will experience both new and familiar structures, which makes us even better with these teaching skills than we were before!