Best Kagan Structure to DO a Worksheet

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
mikepeters59

Best Kagan Structure to DO a Worksheet

Post by mikepeters59 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:40 pm

I'm new to Kagan. Which structure is best to use when students are completing a worksheet from their textbook? I have them in Kagan seating, but I wish for them to each be involved per the Kagan goals-not one working and the rest copying the answers.

DianaB

Re: Best Kagan Structure to DO a Worksheet

Post by DianaB » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:00 am

I would try Rally Coach or Sage-N-Scribe. Either will have both engaged (one writing, one verbally working answers) at any given moment. Each pair gets one sheet, one pencil.

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:04 pm

I agree with Diana -- RallyCoach and Sage-N-Scribe are both great structures for worksheets if you feel your students need support and guided practice while doing the worksheet. If the worksheet is a review worksheet, you can cut the worksheet into strips (one question/problem per strip) and give each team a set of one worksheet's strips. You could then use a structure such as Showdown. Of course, you could just give each student in the class one strip and they could do a Quiz-Quiz-Trade. If the worksheet is completed independently and you just want to use a structure for students to share how they completed the sheet (i.e., their answers), you could implement a structure like RoundRobin.

I hope this is helpful! Thanks for striving to engage ALL students in doing written work by using Kagan structures.

Bill Stater

Post by Bill Stater » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:53 pm

Absolutely agree with the previous answers. I would add Find Someone Who as another option. I used this one in my classroom a lot because it gave the students an opportunity to work with several partners and get out of their seats!

ElijahC

Post by ElijahC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 am

Bill Stater wrote:
> Absolutely agree with the previous answers. I would add Find Someone Who
> as another option. I used this one in my classroom a lot because it gave
> the students an opportunity to work with several partners and get out of
> their seats!

Great idea Bill!