What structures do I use with a 5th grade group project?

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
nataliestevens

What structures do I use with a 5th grade group project?

Post by nataliestevens » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:20 pm

I have a teacher who wants the students to create a travel brocure of the 13 colonies. She wants them to research the inforamtion together. What structures would be best to use?

Rob

Re: What structures do I use with a 5th grade group project?

Post by Rob » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:01 pm

I am so excited about your question!!

I had my fifth graders create 13 Colony travel brochures too.

My first idea is to use a Thinking Skills structure like Jot Thoughts or AllRecord RoundRobin as a brainstorming activity: WHAT CAN YOU INCLUDE IN YOU BROCHURE?

Once the project is ongoing, use a Processing structure like RoundRobin or Stand up Hand up Pair up: WHAT ARE YOU MOST PLEASED ABOUT SO FAR? or WHAT IS NEXT FOR YOU?

When it gets time close to finishing, think about another wave of student engagement. Use a Presentation structure like Timed RoundRobin where students will perform a dress rehearsal of sorts of their individual projects to their home teams. Teams will give feedback using words like, "One thing I really like about your brochure is . . ." or "If you had one more day, you might consider adding . . ."

To hold other students accountable during presentations, have use a Knowledgebuilding structure like Fan N Pick answering questions about the colony just shared.

I hope this helps. Happy New Year!!