How to start mid-school year

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
rhaley

How to start mid-school year

Post by rhaley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:55 am

Hello all- I had the opportunity to attend a Kagan Workshop last week and I would love to start using structures in my high school class. Does anyone have any advice how to start using Kagan structures in the middle of a school year? Thanks!

Bill Stater

Re: How to start mid-school year

Post by Bill Stater » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:44 am

Excited to hear that you are ready to get your high school students going with structures! Starting now is a great idea because you already have procedures and routines established with your current students. I think a great place to start would be to get each class into heterogeneous teams of four with shoulder and face partners That way students are already in place to participate in a structure. From there I would recommend picking one or two structures (such as RallyRobin or Timed-Pair-Share) and use them numerous times with EASY/FUN content until you and the students know the structures like the back of your/their hand. Once the students can do that structure really well, then use it with academic content. Add more structures as students (and you) are ready! Best of luck!