Cooperative learning

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Dalia

Cooperative learning

Post by Dalia » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:37 am

Hi!
i want to know if i am introducing a new lesson,can i use cooperative learnings strategies at the first introduction of the content?
or are they used after giving the students an idea or a basic introduction of the lesson?
For example;if i am teaching new vocabulary,can i use a cooperative learning strategy before teaching or it comes after students know the words.
and Can students using these strategies teach themselves new content?

Tom Searl

Re: Cooperative learning

Post by Tom Searl » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:08 am

Hello Dalia,
Structures can be used at any time in your lesson design!
For example, a structure can be done as an Anticipatory Set before your lesson. Timed Pair Share or RallyRobin can be used for students to state what they already know or would like to know.
Structures can also be used within your lesson as you have them Processing Information you've just taught. For example, after teaching for about 5-10 minutes, have students involved in a structure so they can talk about their learning. You can do this several times within your lesson.
Structures can also be used at the Closure of you lesson. Structures allow them to talk about their major learnings. Timed RoundRobin works well so students can hear ideas from teammates.
Once you've identified what you want them to talk about, then match a structure to meet your objective.
Remember to start with your question, then use a structure to have all students talking about it.
Hope this helps!!

FluTeacher

Re: Cooperative learning

Post by FluTeacher » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:57 am

What I learned by reading Dr. Kagan's expose on From Lessons to Structure -- a Paradigm shift for 21st Century Education (2004)
Is something I had surmised years ago when the best way to teach reading was the "the thing" that our community was obsessed with.
What we all began to see is that there was never any "right" way to teach a child to read, because it takes quite a few strategies and that children don't all learn the same way.
We can say the same thing now when it related to the best way to manage a classroom of children who represent all learning curves from the very bright to those who need the "extras" to be successful.

We need to constantly strive to learn ourselves, as educators, to stretch our own minds and be flexible, because that is what we expect from our learners and we want to know different strategies so that we have more to choose from. This also makes teaching easier because we, as educators, can see that there isn't one "right way" to get our lessons learned.

The horrifying reality is when a principal endorses ONE Paradigm and tells us "this is how we expect you to conduct your class this year" that throw us that ball and chain and takes all the fun and creativity out of what we do. After all, we know not all children learn the same way, so if we can bend and experiment until we find the best route to meet needs of each one of our students - what could be better?
Data Based. Research Based. Proven Results. seems to me that what we need are advocates for teachers, like Dr. Kagan who understands the need for diversity in how we teach so that what we teach makes sense to those we want to reach.