Early Childhood Special Education

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
jaimerae515

Early Childhood Special Education

Post by jaimerae515 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:37 pm

My PreK teachers (most especially, the special education PreK) are very hesitant to use Kagan structures (on top of the special education aspect, most are lacking in language (due in both parts to the special needs as well as being English Language Learners). What would any of you recommend for me to help them out? They want to use Kagan, they just don't know how best to implement it, and I don't know what best to recommend to them! :) Thanks!

Tom Searl

Re: Early Childhood Special Education

Post by Tom Searl » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:00 am

Hello there!
From your post, it seems the best thing for you and your teachers to do is to go experience a Cooperative Learning workshop! At the workshops you get to experience doing structures, and then there is time to process their use in classrooms. Additionally, the Kagan trainer can answer questions regarding your students and their needs. Kagan can come to your school site. For more information, the number to call is 800-451-8495.
If that isn't possible, another idea is to look at the Kagan website and search for workshops in your area. We have many types workshops, including workshops for the "Little Ones" at our Summer Academy. This workshop can also be brought to your school site. Call the same number listed above for more info.
Also, if students lack language skills, then teachers need to give them language in the form of sentence frames/starters. Since students don't have the vocabulary, teachers must start of with telling them what to say. For example, during a RallyRobin, the sentence frame/starter may be: "One idea I have is ..." or
"My thought is ...". So start with RallyRobin, then move onto RoundRobin. Take it slow, but make sure the language is developed, modeled, and practiced by the teacher before expecting students to do the structure.
Hope this helps! Your students are lucky to have you!!