What to Do with Child Who Puts Down Others Behind My Back?

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kimosabi44

What to Do with Child Who Puts Down Others Behind My Back?

Post by kimosabi44 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:12 am

I will be teaching a third grade class next year at a private school. It is a small class (12-14) and many of the kids have been together since Kindergarten. I have been reading Win-Win Discipline and Cooperative Learning and can't wait to implement them! There is one situation I am not sure how to handle. One child is known for regularly insulting other kids when the teacher is not around. He quietly calls them stupid, or insults their race or beliefs, or a myriad of other things. I will be on his side to help him and not be against him, but I am not sure what to do. Most of the kids won't be his friend anymore, and they often tell on him. I hope to prevent some problems with the Kagan structures in place, and by reading and discussing books about bullying, but what do I do if/when it happens? Is tattling okay in this case? How do I deal with that dynamic and with this child and the other children? His parents feel that he is being singled out and is just being a boy.

Elia Chesnoff

Re: What to Do with Child Who Puts Down Others Behind My Bac

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Great start with deciding to use a Win Win approach and get on the Same Side with the student. I would begin with identifying the behavior (ABCD) - sounds like Aggression to me. As you get to know the student you may also begin to infer the position. Then look through the Win Win book for preventative procedures you can put in place for both the behavior and position. Two to start with are heavy Classbuilding and Teambuilding -- as in every day. If you have had Day 2 of Win Win, you may also want to review the Three Responsible Thinking Questions and begin implementing that strategy from the start. I like to often remind myself that autonomous responsibility is the goal and that is a process that may take a while. If this bullying habit has been formed over years I can't imagine there being a quick fix, but rather a slow replacement of the appropriate behavior to meet that need.

kimosabi44

Re: What to Do with Child Who Puts Down Others Behind My Bac

Post by kimosabi44 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:09 am

Thank you so much for your response! I found some information in my cooperative learning book, as well. I am about to reread your advice and look those parts of Win-Win up. Thanks, again. :)