Kagan CL and Social Facilitation

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
GHarman

Kagan CL and Social Facilitation

Post by GHarman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello all,

I am currently studying the first module of an MA in CL and I am writing a paper about how the implementation of Kagan CL may influence resilience.

I am doing this by looking at the 'PIES' principles. In regards to Individual accountability I came across the theory of social loafing. Studies have shown that students who knew they were being evaluated whilst performing a more difficult task performed better when working as individuals. I was wondering if anybody has any information relating specifically to Kagan CL and this phenomenon as I can only see links with more general CL.

krisosthoff

Re: Kagan CL and Social Facilitation

Post by krisosthoff » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:21 am

Hi GHarman,
Thanks for your inquiry. I'm looking into this and will be in touch.
Kris Osthoff

GHarman

Post by GHarman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:32 am

Thank you, I meant to write social facilitation /social inhibition not social loafing.

krisosthoff

Post by krisosthoff » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:40 am

I emailed Dr. Kagan and here is his response:
To my knowledge there is no studied that specifically examines Kagan structures and social facilitation. Whenever there is individual accountability performance is enhanced for any variable. For example when we hold students accountable for listening they listen more intently. If what is meant by social facilitation, is helping one another then many of our structures hold students individually accountable for social facilitation. For example in sage and scribe, the sage is accountable for facilitating the performance of the scribe. Same is true with many of our structures. We can't show any empirical work, but we certainly have tons of direct observations.
Thanks for your inquiry!
Kris Osthoff