Using behavior coupons from Win-Win

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
lhagedorn

Using behavior coupons from Win-Win

Post by lhagedorn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 am

I have a disruptive student. I would like to use the coupon idea from Win-Win; however, what happens if a student uses up all the coupons during the day?

Carol Lohkamp

Re: Using behavior coupons from Win-Win

Post by Carol Lohkamp » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:39 pm

What a great question! Sorry for the delay in my response, I have been reading through Dr. Kagan's book, Win-Win Discipline to determine how I answer. Coupons are explained in Chapter 14, pages 35-38. They are designed to serve as tangible reminders to help a student self-manage his or her disruptive behavior. In order to be effective, a coupon system should be designed with student input and student buy-in is crucial to effectively changing behavior.

I would caution that a coupon system is not the same as a token economy styled management system, where students might be punished for misbehavior by forfeiting a coupon. This type of negative experience can lead to a greater conflict or emotional episode down the road (which I think may be what you are referring to in your question). If this is the case, you will need to prepare for the worst-case scenario.

Instead, Win-Win seeks to empower students to change behavior based upon internal controls. Coupons function as a way to help students focus on changing their behavior. If they run out through the course of the day, plan time to have a side-to-side chat with the student about his/her behavior, then start fresh the following day.

Hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes for a great year!

rickduvall

Re: Using behavior coupons from Win-Win

Post by rickduvall » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:05 am

Remember that the number of coupons is established with the student in a private follow-up meeting. Make sure that the number is agreed upon by both the student and the teacher. When the student uses up all of the coupons, the student must wait until the next school day to receive new coupons. Learning responsible behavior certainly can be a slow process sometimes. Best of luck!